Saturday, February 12, 2011

True love in the form of a chili dog

Sam has the flu.  

Needless to say, our Saturday has been spent hanging around the house, watching Pixar movies and snuggling. 

Ben took care of picking up some breakfast this morning and for lunch, he made me:
The Greatest Chili Dog Known To Man.
(from hence forth this shall be referred to as TGCDKTM)

Here's the deal.  I love chili dogs. Earlier this week, I made chili for dinner and yesterday I used the leftovers to make my self a chili dog.  It was so good I wanted another today.  Alas, I was pinned to the couch by a sick toddler so my sweet husband made it for me.  If you ask either Ben's sister of myself, Ben makes the very best sandwiches.  When I was pregnant I would beg him to make me a PB&J as soon as I got home from work.  So good. This magic apparently extends to chili dogs.

Ok, enough talking.  Time for a picture.

day 30
Ben has been watching a lot of Top Chef because when I told him I was going to take a photo he wiped the plate and perfected  the presentation.  Love that man.

And now the recipe.  I realize that the final creation requires hours of cooking but you are actually getting two meals out of it.  Chili for dinner one night and then TGCDKTM another.  So worth it.

TGCDKTM Chili Recipe 
(loosely based on the Pioneer Woman's Chili)

Ingredients:
4 garlic cloves
2 teaspoon ground oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 pounds ground beef
6 slices of thick bacon, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces (DO NOT SKIP THIS INGREDIENT!!!)
One 16-ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons of onion flakes 
2 teaspoon salt
1 can pinto beans, drained
2 can kidney beans, drained

Preparation:
  1. Begin by measuring the spices: chopped garlic, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and chili powder.
  2. Place the bacon in a large pot (think cast iron if you have it) and cook it until it is almost done. Seriously, almost done but not quite, you don't want it to burn when your cookin' the beef.
  3. Add ground beef and garlic. Cook the beef until brown.
  4. Drain off the excess fat unless you want to look like me.  :)
  5. Pour in the tomato sauce. Followed by the spices and the salt.
  6. Stir together well, cover, and reduce the heat to low.  Cover the pot and simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. I like to cook it for closer to 3 hours.  If the mixture becomes overly dry, add in ½ cup water at a time as needed.
  7. About 20 minutes before serving, add pinto and kidney beans.  Let pot simmer for another 20 minutes.
  8. Top as desired.  We like sour cream, cheese and sometimes when we're feeling extra trashy, Fritos.

Now for Part II.  
The dogs 
(This is based on my aunt Nicole's technique)
  1. Take you dog and cut it in half lengthwise and then chop it into 1/2 in pieces.  Place it in a small frying pan and cook for about 3 minutes of over medium heat.  
  2. Add chili that has been sitting in a Tupperware in the fridge melding flavors overnight (I'm obsessed)  Add it to the frying pan mixing in the hot dogs. Cook until warm.  By warm I mean hot enough to melt the cheese that you are going to put on top in a minute.  
  3. Meanwhile toast and butter your hot dog bun.  Ben added this step.  So worth it.  
  4. Finish by covering the bun with the chili dog mixture and adding some shredded cheese.  I use colby jack.  Cause its always in my fridge.  
  5. Now go sit down and eat.  You can thank me later. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment