Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ben Cookies

Not long after Ben and I started dating, I decided to make him some cookies.  Okay, I may have just baked some Otis Spunkmeyer dough and called it good.

Anyway,  I had to work that night at Ann Taylor in Park City so my cookies sat on the seat of my car waiting for me to get off work so I could deliver them to my new boyfriend.  Imagine my surprise when I got to his house and he had also made me cookies (such a one-upper sometimes).  He bit into one of my cookies and I think I heard a tooth break.  They were slightly frozen as it was winter in Utah.

Being the cute boy that he is, he said, "Oh! These are so good!  They're just like little clouds."

Smart-alleck.

That day I vowed that I would never make him cookies again.  I even held to it for a year or two.  One of the reasons I held out is because Ben makes AMAZING Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They are famous in both of our families.  In fact, when we went home for Christmas, one of the first things my brother Kent said was, "Is Ben going to make some cookies while you're here?"

The reason every one loves them, is due to the fact that no one can duplicate them. Ben's dad worked on them all through his mission but they aren't quite the same.  Sorry Duane.  His siblings insist that there is a secret ingredient.  My attorney sister-in-law Kristy informed me that I have spousal privilege so I will not be addressing these claims.  Maybe at Ben's funeral, we will share all of the secrets of Ben cookies.  Or maybe we will pass the recipe on to Sam and it can be handed down father to son through the generations.Until then I will give you the recipe as printed our family cookbook, "In the Kitchen with Ben and Kristy"

Now I'm going to go eat one.  Or five.

day 45


Ben's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter
¾ cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl cream butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add eggs and mix thoroughly. Combine the baking soda, salt, and flour and stir into creamed mixture. Add oatmeal and chocolate chips and stir until well blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 1 1-15 minutes.

NOTE:  I just noticed this recipe lists bitterweet chocolate chips.  I don't allow anything but milk chocolate in my kitchen so that's what we use.

1 comment: