Friday, February 25, 2011

Torchy's Tacos

Torchy's Tacos

When Ben came to Austin for his interview, he ate at a place called Torchy's Tacos.  I'm pretty sure Torchy's contributed to his desire to get his job.

When we came out together to find a place to live, Ben took me to Torchy's.  It was a sign.

Tonight we went there for dinner (we eat here regularly) and let me tell you, angels sang again . . . as always. Or devils in this case.

Here is what we had for dinner.

I had the Green Chile Pork.
Green Chile Pork

Slow-roasted pork carnitas simmered with green chilies and topped with queso fresco, cilantro, onions (but not on mine) and a wedge of limes.  Served with TOMALTILLO SAUCE on a corn tortilla.

Heaven. I had it the first time I ate here and I'll have it every time.

Ben and I both had a Ranch Hand.
The Ranchand


Tender strips of grilled beef fajita with scrambled eggs and shredded cheese.  Served with DIABLO SAUCE on a flour tortilla.

Steak and Eggs for dinner.  On a taco.  Perfect.

Ben also had their Taco of the Month.  The Double Wide.
day 43

Are you ready for this?  

Hand-battered chicken-fried steak with chopped bacon, topped with Green Chile Queso, cotija cheese and pico de gallo.  Served on a flour tortilla.

Ridiculous but apparently amazing. It has been the taco of the month twice.

IMG_5704

PS -Their cups don't lie.  They are that good.

Note on Chicken-fried teak.  I wasn't sure what makes Chicken-fried steak different from Country-fried Steak.  Well here it is as explained by Andrea Lynn at About.com.

Chicken-fried steak - Most popular in Texas but also served big in some neighboring states.  It is served with peppery white gravy and typically has a crispier coating.

Country-fried steak is usually served covered with brown gravy.  It is apparently more popular in the rest of the South.  


2 comments:

  1. Okay chica, I am seriously craving some of that now after those pics. I am drooling and have quite a hankerin' Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The double wide gets my vote! Check out that pico! Yumm.

    ReplyDelete