Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I thought they were called NON-stress tests . . .

We had a little adventure yesterday.  I went for my non-stress test and the "alarmist nurse", as Ben likes to call her, decided that my contractions were too long, too close and too strong for my too big and too early baby. They sent me down to Labor and Delivery to be checked and monitored.  I was thinking, "Oh, this will be quick."  Not so much. 
 
I learned that little boy's respiratory systems are slower to develop than girls so they decided that if I was having too many contractions that they were going to give me a shot to stop them.   They made me put on the gown and lay in the bed with about a million monitors hooked up (ok, maybe just 3).  Then they gave me a cup of ice chips and left me for a couple of hours!  Do you know what happened then?  Nothing!  That's what!  My contractions stopped and when they "checked" me there was no change. Apparently all you have to do is tell me that you are going to give me a shot and I will stop the contractions myself!  
 
Nothing like a good old panic attack and pregnancy drama to brighten your day.  I'm thinking it might be time to start mentally preparing for this whole birth thing.      

3 comments:

  1. Oh the fun times! I remember Non-stress tests with Sammy. Boy oh boy. I guess your body just knows it isn't time yet. Hopefully he'll hang on another couple of weeks and then you should be good to go. Ryan and I will be going to park city the weekend of the 22nd so if you've had him by then we will for sure stop by! Best of luck and Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...Non-stress. When I was pregnant with Zac I had to see a sub doc when I was 36 weeks...she freaked out saying this baby was going to be SO small 3 or 4 pounds and had me rush to another office for a non-stress test. She said don't go home go directly to the office for the test. He was born 3 days later at 6'14". haha Good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops...forgot to mention I think it was the STRESS the doctor gave me that put me in labor 3 1/2 weeks early.

    ReplyDelete