Saturday, January 29, 2011

Kolache

Ben and I have a goal that every weekend we will try a new local restaurant. Let me tell you, Austin has some AMAZING food.

This weekend we decided to try Lone Star Kolache.

There are kolache places EVERY WHERE in Texas.

Anyway . . . for those of you who aren't familiar with kolaches here's a photo and the wiki definition.

day 16
Kolache (also spelled kolace, kolach, or kolacky, from the Czech and Slovak plural koláče) is a type of pastry consisting of a semi-sweet yeast dough baked with fillings such as fruits, poppyseed, prunes, and cream cheese, often served open-faced, and topped with a topping such as popsika (a crumbled mixture of sugar, flour and butter). [1] Originating as a semi-sweet wedding dessert from Central Europe, they have become popular in parts of the United States.

Apparently they are all over Nebraska too but somehow I missed them in my youth.

Basically they are little treasure nuggets of bread filled with meaty or fruity goodness. Think pigs in a blanket or pizza rolls on steroids. So good.

Here are the varieties that we tried today.

IMG_3812 copy
(Just so you know, I did not eat all of these. We split them all in half.)

The strawberry & cream cheese one was my very favorite but they were all super delicious.

The good news is if you go in between 1:30 and 2:30 you can buy six and get six free.

Unfortunately, this is also the bad news.


2 comments:

  1. Totally the good and the bad news!!! They look super yummy. All of them...I wonder if that is how a RUNZA came to be? Hmmmmm............

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking the strawberry and cream cheese one LOOKS the most appetizing...but, since you took the time to photo and blog about the others, I'm going to assume they are just as tasty. I'm going to have to visit for more then a week just to go to all the restaurants you brag about...and diet for a month before to prepare for the gastric bliss. Oi!

    ReplyDelete