Friday, January 21, 2011

Etsy? Do ya think? (Opinions will be rewarded)


Can we chat for a second?

I've had a couple of people comment, call and email asking about the "Cutie Pie" necklace. The overall consensus has been time to think about Etsy.

So here's the deal. Etsy has TONS of stamped charms.
All very cute.

I'm thinking that I might test the waters. So I've been practicing and researching. I've made a couple more. I'm working out my method.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm going to tell you that the one's pictured below are made using cheapey local craft store materials. Hence the bending of the metal. But they're fun and kinda quirky.


I've found a couple of suppliers where I can buy sterling silver blanks. I've got some on the way along with a couple of tools to make the process work better. (Right now I'm stamping, laying on stomach on our back patio.) I also found a beading class that I can take for SUPER CHEAP at the craft store.

So what do you think?

Try it out? Join the Etsy metal stamping madness?

How much would you pay for one?

Would you pay for one?!

Do the phrases work? Can you think of something better?

Or do I just do it upon request for friends and families? Just for gifts?

Because I really do need help, I'm willing to giveaway a couple of these bad boys for thoughts. Except the Betty one. Think of the movie Clueless. It's for little sister Bethany aka Betty. I have a couple more cheapy blanks so I will even make custom pieces if you will help me. Not joking. The first 10 people who help get some stuff. Comment, email, call me, FB me. Whatever.

Just help.
Please.

Do I really need a new project?




5 comments:

  1. I love them! they are darling and I think you should totally try and put them on etsy. Price wise? I don't know I paid 24 or so dollars for one (it came stamped and a little pearl) for my girlfriend (Vintage Pearl). Her baby died and it was the best gift I could think of. Requested one with her babies name on it. SO FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being the sister of a crafty person totally pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I don't know what they are actually going for on etsy. I have never looked at them I say check it out and see if you can afford to price just a little less and then if the profit is enough to make it worth it. You have to factor in your time as well. Is it really worth it??? only you can decide that. Can you make more in photog.? Where would you rather put your time? Can you do it for a long time or was it something fun to do here and there and then you are over it? I think they would be darling as a charm bracelet too.

    Sorry for such a long post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I love these and we've already chatted some of my label ideas. Go for it on ETSY! I don't know what the going market is for something like this. But a good range seems to be ideal. Some that are high end and some a little more low scale based on the gems/beads/stones, whatever and metal you use. Monograming seemed to be big, and personalizing with just a cute flower or heart might be enough. Or a combination, like a lady bug and KK :) for example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told you to go for it on ETSY! I love them! I agree with the last comment do some cheap ones and some higher priced one. Just base it on how much you spend on the beads and such and time you put in. Research on Etsy to see how much they are going for. Some with the cheap metal and beads maybe 15ish and then with a pearl or more pricey items go up to 25.

    ReplyDelete