Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 52 - Pesto Cream Sauce

Before I say anything else, this is some seriously bad food photography.  However, it was dark outside by the time I made dinner so you are getting the lighting in my dining room.  Not good.  

Ben's sister called me tonight as she is preparing for our nephews baptism.  She's doing a pasta dinner afterward and she was looking for some sauce ideas.  This is one of my favorite dishes.  The only problem is I just eyeball it so when I tried to give her ratios I drew a blank.  Because I love my sister-in-law (and this pasta) I decided to make it tonight for dinner.  Not because I desperately wanted pasta.  Because she needed the recipe.  Right. 

Oh and Mags, remember that Dreamfield pasta that you were telling me about that is diabetes friendly?  Yeah, that's what I had in my pantry.  My blood sugar was 127 after I at this tonight.  Take that gestational diabetes!




Are you ready?  It's sooooooo hard.

Pesto Cream Sauce
( Loosely based on Noodles and Co.  Pasta Cavatappi)


Servings:  We are guessing 8-12 servings depending on how much pasta you make and how greedy you are.  :)

  • 1 7oz container of  Buitoni Pesto.  The green stuff.
  • 1 16oz container of whipping cream.
  • 1 cup of chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatoes in oil (finely chopped)
  • Some acid. Like 1 TBSP.  Ben says do it to taste.  We use either balsamic vinegar or lemon juice.  Whatever floats your boat.  Or whatever you have in the cupboard.
  • 1 tsp of kosher salt 
  • 1 cup (or more) of parmigiano reggiano (the freshly grated type)


Dump everything but the parmigiano reggiano in a medium saute pan over medium heat.  Bring it just barely to a boil.  Turn down the heat and let it simmer until reduced by half.  Add the cheese.  Add pasta.  Add chicken, steak or whatever.  Done.

I usually just start my pasta water at the same time as I start my sauce. Then when I dump my pasta in I reduce to a simmer.  I like to add the pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.  Top with cheese and you're set.

(P.S. Ben marinated the chicken.  Olive oil, garlic, herbs, lemon juice and some chili flakes. I couldn't give you the ratios if my life depended on it but it was REALLY good.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment