Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 119 - Buttermilk Pie

For some reason Blogger was down all night and this morning so I'm a little late on the post.  So instead of posting last night, I spent my time eating Buttermilk Pie.

We had never even hear of Buttermilk Pie until we moved to TX.  Let me tell you, we won't be forgetting about it.

Apparently it's a Southern thing. I guess they are really similar to a chess pie.  Anway, it's a custard pie made with buttermilk.   Don't scoff, you can't even tell there is buttermilk in it.  I was skeptical at first but Ben was an immediate fan.  Ben first tried it at a cute little food trailer called "Cutie Pies"  here in town.  I didn't even try it the first time.  It sounded too weird.  I didn't give in until this week when I had extra buttermilk in my fridge and decided to be a nice wife and make it for Ben.

I didn't try the first one I made either.  It looked like this:

day-119


Ben said the flavor was good but obviously the texture was an epic fail.  I blame the store-bought frozen pie crust.

So I put my apron back on and tried a different recipe.  The second pie was PERFECTION!

IMG_9349


Ben said it was even better than Cutie Pie's  (Sorry Jaynie) and Ben isn't one to lie about pie. I cannot tell you how delicious this thing is. The slightly caramelized top, the rich custardy (I think I just made that word up) middle, the delicious flaky crust all come together as perfection on a plate.  Apparently some people add toasted coconut.  I can tell you that we will be trying that for sure in the very near future.

I'm never leaving Texas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment