Sunday, March 2, 2008

Primary and Ben

Ben and I teach a Primary class at church. This is a great calling for us. We only have two kids in our class this year and they are both great kids. One is an 8 year old boy and the other is a 6 year old girl. Someday I will tell you about the quirkiness surrounding our Primary and how we ended up with such an odd class. Anyway . . . back to the point. Sometimes Ben and I disagree about the best way to our approach our calling. Actually, to be completely accurate, I don't agree with how Ben approaches it. There are two basic points where Ben and I diverge.

The first is "How detailed do you get with our class?" Granted, Ben is much smarter and more knowledgeable than I am. The problem is sometimes he tends to be WAY too in depth with the kids. Jillian can't even read yet and therefore doesn't fully understand some of the concepts Ben tries to explain. Here are a couple of examples:

1. Josh: "Is Heaven in the sky?"
Ben's answer: "Well actually, the spirits from the pre-existence are here on the earth."
Tracey's answer: "Josh, that is something that will be much more clear when we die."

2. Jillian: "Did Heavenly Father make the dinosaurs?"
Ben: "Well, actually . . . "
Tracey interrupts with "Yes, Heavenly Father made everything on earth."

There are multiple other examples but Ben is playing innocent and won't help me remember them.

Ben also likes to say silly things to the kids that definitely don't help our class remain reverent. Today the kids were imagining that they were shepherds. As the are imagining this Ben says "And then the killer sheep attack!" Yup. That was the end of that lesson. He also likes to throw in things like during a scripture story "And then ______ punched ______ in the nose." or when explaining good and bad choices he particularly likes to come up with bad choices to point out.

Parenting with Ben is going to be quite the adventure. At least when my kids come up with crazy things I'll know exactly where they came from.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like quite the eventful primary class. I'm sure my two primary boys would much rather have Ben around than me. I'm SO boring!! At least your kids won't lack for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete