Sunday, March 16, 2008

Baby Names

So as all soon to be parents to do, Ben and I are contemplating what to name our little bundle of joy. Of course this decision will be easier in a couple of weeks when we find out what we are having. Ben is pretty easy going about girl names but as far as boys go, he really wants to name the baby Sam, after his best friend Sammy. I love Sam and his family so I'm not going to argue this too much. However, Ben would be upset if I didn't mention that Anya refused to let Sam name one of their boys Ben. What Ben neglected to tell me was that Anya said no because they already have a nephew named Ben . . . Ben Hanson at that. I completely understand where Anya is coming from.

As far as girl names go, I'm having a dilemma. Originally I had planned on naming the baby Preston if it's a girl. However, over the last few days I've started thinking that I want to name it Dannelly if it's a girl, which is my maiden name. (Pronounced "Dan-a-Lee" unless you are a telemarketer and then we don't want to talk to you anyway!) How cute is that?! AND because Dannelly is such a big name for a little girl, we can call her Ellie. Super cute!

Ben and I have been jokingly calling the baby Bracey as you all know. But we've also been joking about giving it a Utah Mormon name and calling it Tre'n (Tracey + Ben). Ben took it a step further and decided he liked LeTre'n. That way the kid is guaranteed to be Mormon AND an athlete. As I was searching the web for name this morning I came across the best web site in the world.

Drumroll . . . .

"The Utah Baby Namer"

That's right there is a whole site dedicated to all the crazy names people here in Utah name their kids, including creative spellings, meanings and my favorite . . . apostrophes. Oh my religion and home state . . . you are something else. Hopefully you enjoy it and won't find your name on the list! Don't feel bad if you do though, one of my favorite Grandma's has her name on the list. Way to go Alvaretta!

3 comments:

  1. I have to say I like to remain pretty neutral when it comes to commenting on blogs. However, I am quite opinionated when it comes to baby names so here it is.

    I like traditional names - but to each their own. In saying that, I do like Dannelly for a girl and calling her Ellie. I like that much more than Preston. People might not know whether Dannelly is a boy or a girl and so you can't be offended when they call her a him. (I have a friend that named her daughter Ryan. She is completely offended when they call her a him at the doctors office.)

    Also, expect misspellings and mispronunciations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY! Is all I can say. I only browsed through those girl names and only for like a minute, but OH MY!! is all I can say!!
    I am going to have to go back and look at some of them. Did someone really name their poor daughter Abcde???

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Did someone really name their poor daughter Abcde???"

    Yes... we double checked that one before putting it on the list. It's pronounced "AB-ce-dee."

    Wes Clark
    Utah Baby Namer

    ReplyDelete