Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Nerd Love

First of all I have to put a disclaimer that I typed nerd and BYU into Google image search so that means that these people put nerd and BYU to describe this picture so don't get mad at me. Yesterday Tracey happened to spend part of the day on Brigham Young University campus researching her thesis. Her experience there reminded me why I am so glad that I am not going there any more, and gave me the perfect idea for this post. One thing that occurs much more at BYU than any other place on the face of the earth is nerd love.

I guess I should start out by explaining what exactly nerd love is. Nerd love is when two people get together who have never previously had any sort of relationship due to the fact they are big nerds. Now BYU is the center of this for two reasons. First, the school is naturally a magnet for nerds due to the good academics and the tendency of Mormons to be a bit nerdy and socially awkward. Second, the church indirectly makes the students feel like if they do not get married by the time they leave school, then they are a complete failure and they have something seriously wrong with them. Now they do not come out and say this, but it is definitely implied.

The next step is to explain exactly how to spot these nerd lovers. This is easy and fun to do. First of all go to BYU campus and throw a rock and my guess is you hit a nerd love couple. If you do not have a rock then just look around. What you are looking forward to is some super high pants on both the guy and the girl, and one or both is wearing a BYU t-shirt. As for their actions, look for some extremely awkward public displays of affection and maybe some awkward hand holding. This can end up being a fun game where you try to come up with a back story like maybe they met at marriage and family prep class or perhaps she was impressed by his impromptu piano solo at the Wilk.

I highly encourage anyone to go out and look for these nerd couples today

0 comments:

Post a Comment