Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Frito Pie break

We interrupt this 365 project so I can write a post for my mom.  A post about Frito Pie the most ridiculously junkie and delicious food known to man.   There is conflicting information about where Frito Pie originates.  The most common belief is Texas.  Which I believe.  'Cause you can buy it everywhere.  I happened to be blessed with a wonderful mother who introduced me to Frito Pie in my youth.  Even though we lived up North.  In Nevada.  I'm not sure she ever made it.  I think she just bought it for us at Sonic . . .

Anyway. Tonight I received a call from my mom regarding other things, but she expressed her dismay that I had not posted a picture of last night's dinner of Frito Pie on the blog. We're friends on FB my mom and I.  She read about dinner there.  She also told me that I needed to give her instructions on how I made it. As it so happens, I had it again for lunch.  I even took a picture.  So here is it.  It's pretty complex.

IMG_5932

Frito Pie - Tracey Style


One bag of Fritos.  (15 oz I think . . .)

One medium size can of Wolf Brand Chilli with beans.
 (I don't know if you can buy this brand outside of the Midwest.  You'll have to check.  Believe me, this is the brand you want to use.  So good. Order it on Amazon if you have to.)

2 cups (or more) of finely shredded cheddar jack cheese

Sour cream (optional)

Green onions or regular onions (optional)

Heat your chili in the microwave.  Spread your chips on a small cookie sheet.  Cover your chips with chili.  Cover the chili with cheese.  Stick under the broiler on low until you cheese melts.   Remove from oven.  Add onions.  Add sour cream.  Enjoy.

Note:  I sprinkled some parsley on mine.  I didn't have green onion but I thought is needed some color.

1 comment:

  1. Is this very spicy? (because I can't handle spicy food) but I'd love to make some for Felix so he can feel like he's in TX again! :)

    ReplyDelete