Monday, August 15, 2011

Day 211 - Steak Sandwich

Alright, so I'm a day behind on posting but I intend to catch up tonight.  Or tomorrow.  But first I have to tell you about our dinner last night.

Steak Sandwiches

day 211

So stinking good. Not to mention, SUPER easy to make.

The first think you need to know if that it is crucial that you buy the right bread.  Lucky for you, I'm going to tell you where I found this bread.  At Super Target. (WHAT?!  Tracey likes Target?  After spending 40 hours a week there for 8 years?  Shocking, I know.)  Back to the bread.
You want the soft french bread that sits on the little rack when you walk in.  At least that is where it is at my Target.  This bread is AMAZING for sandwiches.  I crave this bread.  I have bought 2 loaves within the last week.  It's that good.

OK.  Onto the steak.  Thin sliced tri tip.  We bought ours at (GASP) WalMart.  I marinated the crud out of mine while at church.  It was a lot of tossing and pouring of ingredients but basically it boils down to this.

Tracey's Random Marinade
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar (or red wine vinegar if you aren't morally opposed to it.)
1 half onion.  Quartered
3 clove garlic.  Smashed
1 TBSP  rosemary
1 TBSP thyme
A generous pinch of red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt

After marinating for a couple of hours, have your darling husband throw it on the grill.  For like 2 minutes.  Maybe.  This stuff cooks fast.

Then build you sandwich. We just did mayo and provolone (simple and perfect) this time but here are some other topping ideas:
Mayonaise.
Kraft Dijon Horseradish Mayo (SO GOOD)
Tomatoes
Arugula
Sun-dried tomato aoli
Red Onions
Caramelized onions
Melted Provolone
Fontina cheese (YUM)

1 comment:

  1. Yu-um. Looks so good it warranted making yum into a 2 syllable word.

    ReplyDelete