Saturday, February 16, 2008

Fwd: You will never believe this!

The other night Tracey and I were having a nice relaxing evening watching the only thing on television, the Grammys, and the usual segment where they memorialize all off those in the music industry who have passed came on. We had both forgotten that the famous tenor Luciano Pavarotti had died this year. Of course, we immediately began trying to remember the name of the third tenor (to save you a trip to wikipedia I will tell you it is Carerra). Tracey began to relate a story of how two of the tenors hated each other and then one got cancer and went broke. The rival set up some secret fund to pay for his treatment and then they reconciled and had a litter of babies in the alps and had to escape from the Nazis during a talent show or something like that. I asked where she had heard this incredible story and if they had made a movie about that ending perhaps with one of the men being played by a nun. I was dismayed to find out that the source was one of my personal pet peeves, the email forward.

Now I am not opposed to the act of forwarding. I myself have often shared a particularly funny or ridiculous email but only if that email was written for me. I can confidently say that I have never received a chain email that was either so stupid that I sprained my superior oblique (an eye muscle) due to the degree of my eye rolling or just a flat out lie like this three tenors crap. It has gotten to the point that Tracey sends me the forwards she gets so I can go into mythbusting mode. Lets just say I have yet to see a forward that is actually true.

As always, if you do not forward this post to 10 people you will be haunted by the ghost of Moses or some crap like that.

2 comments:

  1. Well, Luciano died last year, and the third tenor's name is Carreras.
    All that story about the three tenors you wrote is total bullsh*t. That's not true.
    But yeah, if I understood correctly what you wanted to say those chain emails are just crap, nothing in them is really true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously the story Ben wrote is crap! He changed the origianl forward to be the Sound of Music. He was trying to be funny. We know the forward was incorrect. Yet another example of how you can't believe everything you read on the internet. :)

    ReplyDelete