Friday, January 30, 2009

Jetta Graveyards and Mom Cars

It's official.  The Jetta died.  

For those of you who don't know, Ben has been driving a 1996 Jetta since he came home from his mission in 2000.  It's a been a great car but any of you that have seen it lately (by lately I mean in the 3 years that we have been married) you know that it was on it's last leg. Ben didn't even like to drive Sam in it.  We've been thinking that it was going to die for the last year but with Ben finishing up his degree in the next month or so we thought we were in the clear . . . until Monday when it died. We took it in to get fixed and needless to say, the repairs were going to cost more than the car was worth.  

So I sold it. 

On Tuesday.  

I stuck it on KSL and sold it within literally 30 seconds.  Ben didn't even get to say goodbye.  I picked it up from the dealership with the help of my little brother and sold it in the WalMart parking lot a block away.  

Lucky for us, my mom's office was selling one of their pool cars. They put it up for bid and whoever had the highest bid submitted in a sealed envelope today won.  We won!!!  I am now the proud owner of a Ford Expedition.  Some of you may be wondering how I got a car if Ben's is the one that died.  Well, it works like this:

1. Ben likes smaller cars. 
2. I like larger cars.
3. My Tuscon is smaller.
4. Would you want to park an Expedition in the University of Utah parking lot?
5. Ben's professor was harassing him about his carbon footprint so we figure that it is better if this car gets driven less. 
6. The Tuscon gets better gas mileage, Ben drives more than I do.
7.  The Expedition has a nifty spare mirror that points directly into the backseat to view small children.
8. The Expedition's middle seat scoot forward 11 inches for easy child access
9. The Expedition seats 9.  It's a mom car. 

And finally . . . 

10.  I'm a mom.




2 comments:

  1. It's so sad to say good-bye to a good car. Way to go! You used it up, wore it out, & made it do. Not very many people do that now a days. I'm sure you're enjoying your new drive. Take care!

    ReplyDelete