Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Uncovering lies


So while waiting for a program to compile at work ar downloading a paper or something I occasionally like to check out the news of the day. I was shocked and dismayed at the exceedingly shoddy reporting I found today on the msnbc web site. I noticed an article titled 10 low-cost locales where jobs are plentiful. To be honest, I could not help but notice the article when it was emailed to me as well. Before I get complaints, I am not ripping any city, just the reporting. The first sign of shoddy reporting was the fact that somehow Idaho Falls made it to 2nd on the list but let's look a little further.

First of all there is no way I am going to believe that Idaho Falls has an area population of 110,000. Doing a little internet sleuthing, I found that as recent as 2005 the population of the entire bonneville county was approximately 91,000. Now that is a pretty big area to be counting and it is still about 20,000 off. The same thing would occur when I was growing up there. If someone ask ed how many people lived in Idaho Falls, the number would be about 20,000 more than was on the sign at the city entrance. According to a 2006 census Idaho Falls is only the 5th most populous city behind Boise, Nampa, Meridian, and even Pocatello.

My next issue is that they claim the city has "decent amenities." First of all, there is no Costco. Second, due to the lack of a food court, the Grand Teton Mall can not even be considered a mall. I guess with the ability to buy anything on the internet, shopping is not as big a deal.

I could go on and on about this terrible article and how they try to make Logan sound great as well but I will refrain. They did fail to mention a couple good points about Idaho falls. The most important being that it is home of the IF Tigers. Go Tigers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment